We should all feel this great!
But Retained Primitive Reflexes can get in the way of that.
I use Primitive Reflexes as a way to help me narrow in on just what is going on with a client. These are a set of neurological impulses that help us develop in-utero and throughout the first few years of life.
They guide us through physical, emotional and mental stages of development. Our body depends on them to give us the impetus to move to higher levels of physical, mental and emotions learning and functioning.
Primitive Reflexes can at times get held over and not fully integrate, this is usually do to a good amount of physical tension in our system. This can happen either from a difficult, prolonged or fast birth, maybe not enough room in-utero or possibly even an injury or trauma early on after birth in the first few years during growth and development.
Some things associated with Retained Primitive Reflexes are:
- Continued bed wetting, prolonged difficulty with potty-training or willingness to use the toilet
- difficulty in social engagement; making friends, taking part in group events, etc.
- continued thumb sucking or sucking/chewing on their collar
- overly-strong gag, taste and smell reflex
- reading and writing concerns
- "W" sitting
- poor posture
- poor balance and coordination
- toe walking
- weak abdominal core
- writing, math, reading or spelling troubles
- not being able to comprehend well what they are reading, cannot put it into practical sense
- motion sickness
- anxiety/overly strong fears
- sound sensitivity can't concentrate in groups, has to put their head down or cover their ears
- trouble with transitions; stopping one things and moving onto the next, going to a new play group or social situation
Craniosacral Therapy is a great and integral way to reduce those tensions, to relax the nervous system and help things integrate.
INTEGRATIVE PRIMITIVE REFLEX EXERCISES - I also will use specific body movement exercises to helps the primitive reflexes connect the body and brain to establish a connected nervous system, this is what allows integration to happen and therefore moves a person into higher/ smoother functioning.